I
don't think the right balance will be brought by just preaching the
opposite extreme. Some how it's one of those mysteries that we are all
created in God's image and so all of value and all have some of his
characteristics, but we are also spoiled by sin and alienated from God. I
have grown to like the verse that used to give me the creeps - for all
have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I'm given to
understand that the word sin comes from ye olde english to illustrate
falling short. It seems it's an archery word for when the arrow not only
doesn't hit the target but it comes out wobbly from the bow and does a
belly flop on the ground before even getting that far (and everyone
watching the competition laughs or jeers I suspect). It helps me to
remember that without God I'm part of that belly flop even tho I try to
be a nice person, even if I haven't broken one of the ten commandments
this week. I hope that makes me less patronising with those who've not
yet turned to Jesus, but also keeps in mind that we do need what Jesus
did. Love the sinner, hate the sin is the old cliché but I think it's
very valid.
I've read some interesting stuff lately about God's anger/not. I'm still thinking it through.
I must say I have been very put off by images of a grumpy god turning his back on mankind and I think it is an over balance of what was once a healthy teaching to challenge complacent church members to repentance - the ministries of people like Finney and others. I associate it with the Fundamentalist movement too with their rather particular approach to the final judgement, hell and so on. I must say that in my opinion it's a pretty aggressive approach and not one I'm totally at home with. For example I don't think Jesus talked about hell with the ordinary people, only with the religious.And I think we've got our end times interpretations of some scriptures a bit knotted up. I think Jesus approach is amazingly compassionate and loving and thoughtful when he's with ordinary folks. Brood of vipers is saved for the religious.
Having said that, as part of my current pilgrimage reconciling me to certain bits of the bible, I had to face up the the wrath passages in the minor prophets so I set my face and did a study to find out what actually makes God mad. I worked through the first half of Isaiah and all of Amos for starters and found a list that shouldn't have surprised me but it did. Of course there is the drunkenness, apostacy, foreign gods, idols, false prophecy etc but a really large part of God's gripe seems to have been how they treat the poor, needy, defenceless women and children, aliens/foreigners, false weights and measures, rigged trials, denying proper legal rights to people, etc And it seems to me that the ultimate punishment for this sort of bullying and theft is to hand them over to even bigger bullies and thieves until they get a taste of their own medecine with the invasion and exile in Babylon. The actual poor themselves get left behind in the land to make out on their own !
So basically God goes lary about the things I wish I got more angry about too ! And as a disabled woman, on my own, with sick kids, in a foreign land, struggling with the economic crisis caused by the greedy, resulting in cuts to services I can identify with a lot of the people that God is sticking up for ! I don't mind him getting cross about how people like me get treated - and I've not had a bad ride compared to many, I'm one of the relatively rich in the world.
It seems to be yet another of those mysteries where the answers must be somewhere in not either/or but both. Some how I need to hold in my head the two images of God - so angry about wrong and injustice, yet so loving and merciful towards us. I'm not too fond of the old ying and yang thing, but I can see that it has some element of comprehension of this wonderful paradox.
I wondered a bit about the eternal fire that some were supposedly going to burn in for eternity. That doesn't quite square with a loving God, no matter how bad we've been. Not getting to spend an eternity with God is another matter, that I can understand. I've come to the place where I believe that yes there is an eternal fire, but just as rubbish gets burnt up in it, doesn't mean that there is eternal burning of the rubbish. The fire might just be there to remind us of what we have come from, what we have escaped if you like. Our rubbish on the fire. As for those whose hearts are not turned to God, who have been greedy and not done what God asked then on Judgement day there is, as it says in Revelation, there is the second death (Revelations 21:8). It doesn't say they will burn eternally.
ReplyDeleteVery well thought out Liz and well written. Thanks. Much resonates with me.
ReplyDelete